usb keyboard not functional in non-uefi mode
Jan Gregor
2016-02-11 09:04:54 UTC
Hello,

my keyboard (microsoft natural 4000) doesn't work in boot managers
although it is functional in bios, windows, linux and uefi mode.
Unfortunatelly my disk works in mbr mode so uefi is not option for me. The
keyboard worked ok with old computer so I think the problem relates to my
current motherboard (asus p9dws).

I use grub2 from fresh debian installation (jessie), version
2.02~beta2-22+deb8u1.

Without modifications, grub2 boots without problems debian and windows 10.
Unfortunately due to unfuctional keyboard I have to externally change
default option.

When I added following lines to start of grub.cfg, my keyboard works.
nativedisk
insmod usb
insmod usb_keyboard
insmod ehci

Unfortunatelly boot of windows 10 ends with following error message

A disk read error occured. Press Ctrl + Alt + Del

I think the error can relate to usb support that forces grub to use
nativedisk module. Can you recommend how to solve booting of windows 10 in
this case ?

Best regards,
Jan
Andrei Borzenkov
2016-02-11 09:24:28 UTC
Post by Jan Gregor
Hello,
my keyboard (microsoft natural 4000) doesn't work in boot managers
Do you mean it also does not work in other boot managers, not only GRUB?
Post by Jan Gregor
[...]
No, you cannot chainload Windows once you tainted system with native
USB drivers. But the real question is why keyboard does not work. GRUB
is using BIOS services to perform input/output and you say it works in
BIOS setup, correct? It sounds like BIOS stops USB support when it
boots something. Try playing with BIOS setup options, in particular
"Legacy USB Support"; according to documentation if it is disabled,
then "USB devices can be used only for the BIOS setup program".
Jan Gregor
2016-02-11 09:49:16 UTC
Yes, it didn't worked in slax livecd until linux kernel was started. I also
experienced same in debian installer until I disabled csm in bios that
turns on uefi mode.

I'm aware of legacy usb support in bios and it is enabled.

The problem can be that microsoft natural keyboard is visible as two usb
hid devices and the bios has somehow broken support for non-uefi case via
bios services.

Well, I didn't expect that native usb drivers makes booting of windows
impossible.

Thanks,
Jan
Andrei Borzenkov
2016-02-11 11:42:34 UTC
Post by Jan Gregor
Yes, it didn't worked in slax livecd until linux kernel was started. I also
experienced same in debian installer until I disabled csm in bios that turns
on uefi mode.
I'm aware of legacy usb support in bios and it is enabled.
And what about other settings there? Did you try all combinations?
Post by Jan Gregor
The problem can be that microsoft natural keyboard is visible as two usb hid
devices and the bios has somehow broken support for non-uefi case via bios
services.
Well, I didn't expect that native usb drivers makes booting of windows
impossible.
Well ... driver changes hardware state without BIOS being aware of it
so we try to play safe. If it possible to allow concurrent BIOS and
GRUB access, someone with better USB knowledge please chime in.
Post by Jan Gregor
Thanks,
Jan
Jan Gregor
2016-02-11 14:11:06 UTC
Post by Jan Gregor
on uefi mode.
I'm aware of legacy usb support in bios and it is enabled.
And what about other settings there? Did you try all combinations?
Yes, I hope so. There were three options for usb like ehci support and in
another part of bios setup CSM options.
Post by Jan Gregor
services.
Well, I didn't expect that native usb drivers makes booting of windows
impossible.
Well ... driver changes hardware state without BIOS being aware of it
so we try to play safe. If it possible to allow concurrent BIOS and
GRUB access, someone with better USB knowledge please chime in.
I understand.
Post by Andrei Borzenkov
Post by Jan Gregor
Thanks,
Jan
Post by Jan Gregor
Jan Gregor
2016-02-15 21:42:42 UTC
Hi Andrei,

my grub is finally working :-)

I contacted asus tech support. My problem was fixed by reset of cmos
memory via hardware jumpers on motherboard. Although update of bios and
load of defaults that I did before seems to have same effect the result was
different.

Best regards,
Jan
Post by Jan Gregor
Post by Jan Gregor
services.
Well, I didn't expect that native usb drivers makes booting of windows
impossible.
Well ... driver changes hardware state without BIOS being aware of it
so we try to play safe. If it possible to allow concurrent BIOS and
GRUB access, someone with better USB knowledge please chime in.
I understand.
Post by Andrei Borzenkov
Post by Jan Gregor
Thanks,