Booting from NVMe controller enters GRUB rescue
vinayak holikatti
2014-01-10 06:53:26 UTC
Hi All,

We have developed Legacy OptionROM for NVMe controller device. We are
able to boot to all Windows 7 and later OS. But we are facing issue in
booting Fedora 20 x86_64 OS. Fedora 20 gets installed successfully on
NVMe device. While booting from NVMe device we are observing error as
follows and enters grub rescue. We are clueless about what is
happening here. We would like to know how to over come this issue and
boot to Fedora 20 OS from our controller.

"error : no such device: 44d1bf09-4e8a-4f46-aea6-09e364abf5cb.
Entering rescue mode...
grub_rescue>"

Thanks in Advance.
--
Thanks & Regards,
Vinayak Holikatti
Andrey Borzenkov
2014-01-10 08:17:00 UTC
On Fri, Jan 10, 2014 at 10:53 AM, vinayak holikatti
Post by vinayak holikatti
Hi All,
We have developed Legacy OptionROM for NVMe controller device. We are
able to boot to all Windows 7 and later OS. But we are facing issue in
booting Fedora 20 x86_64 OS. Fedora 20 gets installed successfully on
NVMe device. While booting from NVMe device we are observing error as
follows and enters grub rescue. We are clueless about what is
happening here. We would like to know how to over come this issue and
boot to Fedora 20 OS from our controller.
"error : no such device: 44d1bf09-4e8a-4f46-aea6-09e364abf5cb.
Entering rescue mode...
grub_rescue>"
GRUB cannot find filesystem with UUID printed. Some of required
drivers are missing in core.img. What is NVMe? Could you give more
information (is it BIOS compatible? Are you using HDD or some other
media? What is disk layout - any MD, LVM or other RAID partitions?)
vinayak holikatti
2014-01-10 11:48:18 UTC
Post by vinayak holikatti
[...]
Hi Andrey,

We have taken a log of Bootinfo script as below. Non Volatile Memory
Express(NVMe) is PCIe based
controller. In Linux kernel for this controller there is a driver
module present with name nvme.ko. We will
start looking at core.img. There is no BIOS support for this device as
it is a PCIe plug and play
device. We have our Legacy OptionROM support for booting from this controller.

Boot Info Script 0.61 [1 April 2012]

============================= Boot Info Summary: ===============================

=> Windows is installed in the MBR of /dev/sda.

sda1: __________________________________________________________________________

File system: vfat
Boot sector type: Windows 7: FAT32
Boot sector info: No errors found in the Boot Parameter Block.
Operating System:
Boot files:

============================ Drive/Partition Info: =============================

Drive: sda _____________________________________________________________________

Disk /dev/sda: 1.9 GiB, 2027945984 bytes, 3960832 sectors
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes

Partition Boot Start Sector End Sector # of Sectors Id System

/dev/sda1 * 63 3,960,831 3,960,769 b W95 FAT32

"blkid" output: ________________________________________________________________

Device UUID TYPE LABEL

/dev/loop0 squashfs
/dev/loop1 4847f338-a61d-4f93-ac64-77997dedbbd5 ext4 Anaconda
/dev/loop2 DM_snapshot_cow
/dev/mapper/live-base 4847f338-a61d-4f93-ac64-77997dedbbd5 ext4 Anaconda
/dev/mapper/live-rw 4847f338-a61d-4f93-ac64-77997dedbbd5 ext4 Anaconda
/dev/nvme0n1
/dev/nvme0n1p1 44d1bf09-4e8a-4f46-aea6-09e364abf5cb ext4
/dev/nvme0n1p2 28e76de8-652d-4394-bca4-4249ebbe47a5 ext4
/dev/nvme0n1p3 1e3ab25f-5a0e-4359-919c-2643c227ee85 swap
/dev/sda1 AEB8-AE13 vfat DOS
/dev/sr0 2013-12-12-14-06-50-00 iso9660
Fedora 20 x86_64
/run/install/repo//LiveOS/squashfs.img
squashfs

========================= "ls -R /dev/mapper/" output: =========================

/dev/mapper:
control
live-base
live-rw

================================ Mount points: =================================

Device Mount_Point Type Options

/dev/mapper/live-rw / ext4
(rw,relatime,seclabel,data=ordered)
/dev/nvme0n1p1 /mnt/sysimage/boot ext4
(rw,relatime,seclabel,data=ordered)
/dev/nvme0n1p2 /mnt/sysimage ext4
(rw,relatime,seclabel,data=ordered)
/dev/sda1 /mnt/usb vfat
(rw,relatime,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codepage=437,iocharset=ascii,shortname=mixed,errors=remount-ro)
/dev/sr0 /run/install/repo iso9660 (ro,relatime)

=============================== StdErr Messages: ===============================

No volume groups found
mdadm: No arrays found in config file or automatically
--
Regards,
Vinayak Holikatti
Andrey Borzenkov
2014-01-10 13:40:58 UTC
Post by vinayak holikatti
[...]
Does this Legacy OptionROM emulate BIOS disk access? I.e. is this
device visible as HDD in BIOS?

On BIOS platform GRUB is using biosdisk module; it relies on BIOS disk
calls (INT 13). I think I remember cases when it was not completely
implemented by option ROMs.
vinayak holikatti
2014-01-21 08:17:03 UTC
Post by vinayak holikatti
[...]
Due to our Legacy OptionROM the disk is visible in BIOS boot menu.
Post by Andrey Borzenkov
On BIOS platform GRUB is using biosdisk module; it relies on BIOS disk
calls (INT 13). I think I remember cases when it was not completely
implemented by option ROMs.
We have implemented all the INT13 routine functions supported functions
AH=00,02,03,08,41,48,42,43
--
Regards,
Vinayak Holikatti
Jordan Uggla
2014-01-13 18:21:35 UTC
On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 10:53 PM, vinayak holikatti
Post by vinayak holikatti
Hi All,
We have developed Legacy OptionROM for NVMe controller device. We are
able to boot to all Windows 7 and later OS. But we are facing issue in
booting Fedora 20 x86_64 OS. Fedora 20 gets installed successfully on
NVMe device. While booting from NVMe device we are observing error as
follows and enters grub rescue. We are clueless about what is
happening here. We would like to know how to over come this issue and
boot to Fedora 20 OS from our controller.
"error : no such device: 44d1bf09-4e8a-4f46-aea6-09e364abf5cb.
Entering rescue mode...
grub_rescue>"
Please run "ls" at the rescue prompt and post the output.
Jordan Uggla (Jordan_U on irc.freenode.net)
vinayak holikatti
2014-01-21 08:14:23 UTC
Post by vinayak holikatti
Hi All,
We have developed Legacy OptionROM for NVMe controller device. We are
able to boot to all Windows 7 and later OS. But we are facing issue in
booting Fedora 20 x86_64 OS. Fedora 20 gets installed successfully on
NVMe device. While booting from NVMe device we are observing error as
follows and enters grub rescue. We are clueless about what is
happening here. We would like to know how to over come this issue and
boot to Fedora 20 OS from our controller.
"error : no such device: 44d1bf09-4e8a-4f46-aea6-09e364abf5cb.
Entering rescue mode...
grub_rescue>"
Please run "ls" at the rescue prompt and post the output.
The ls command at grub_rescue shows as below

grub_rescue>ls
(hd0)

And set command output as below

grub_rescue>set
prefix = (hd0)/grub2
root = hd0

I think the information of prefix and root are wrongly set. It should be

prefix = (hd0,1)/grub2
root = (hd0,2)

/boot partition corresponds to /dev/nvme0n1p1
/ paration corresponds to /dev/nvme0n1p2
Vinayak Holikatti
Andrey Borzenkov
2014-01-21 08:20:26 UTC
Post by vinayak holikatti
[...]
Which grub version do you use? Could you test current GIT master? If
it still puts prefix wrong, please
show output of "grub-install --verbose /dev/path-to-boot-block"
(/dev/nvme0n1 or /dev/nvme0n1p1 or wherever).

I would not be surprised if grub is confused by non-standard disk
naming, but there were many changes recently so it may be fixed
already.
Andrey Borzenkov
2014-01-22 12:22:35 UTC
Post by vinayak holikatti
[...]
We are using grub2. Do you want us to install grub and not grub2?
grub2 is name which is used by some distributions to allow concurrent
install of grub legacy and current grub. Upstream has only grub and
grub legacy.
As grub2-install doesn't have verbose option.
Sorry, it is --debug option, not --verbose.
We will try latest grub from git repo. Should we try grub or grub2?
There is only grub.
Vinayak Holikatti
vinayak holikatti

Vinayak Holikatti
vinayak holikatti
2014-03-11 12:56:19 UTC
Hi Jordan,

I have tried with latest grub 2.02 beta version. And the problem
booting NVMe device still persists.
but with the workaround grub install we are able to boot Fedora 20.

Please let us know further course of action.

2014-03-17 00:49:34 UTC
Please file a bug report at http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?group=grub
--
Jordan Uggla (Jordan_U on irc.freenode.net)